This is a very good way to serve blackberries as the top of the dessert is both soft and crisp.
- Cook the blackberries, water and enough sugar to sweeten, then put the fruit and some, but not all, of the juice into a buttered pie dish.
- Beat the egg yolk with the milk, cut the sponge cakes in half and soak in the egg and milk mixture.
- When the sponge cakes have absorbed the egg and milk, lay them over the blackberries to cover.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and cook for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whip up the egg white, add the castor sugar, take out the amber (the fruit and sponges) from the oven, and spread the egg mixture over the top.
- Turn the oven down to 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1 and put back in oven, leaving for about 15 minutes or until the top is amber-brown. Serve hot with cream.
TOP TIPYou can also make a variation on this recipe with the addition of blackberry and apple.