The joys of rice pudding are unfortunately no longer widely celebrated but this was one of my favourite desserts while I lived in Sweden and it’s the perfect sort of warm dessert for cold winter days.
- Add the rice, 250ml water, salt and butter to a large saucepan, then cover with a lid and place over a high heat.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Pour in the milk and add the vanilla sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir through to combine then return the mixture to the boil and again reduce the heat and simmer slowly for about 25–35 minutes or until you have a creamy rice pudding consistency but the rice still has a little bite to it.
- Serve straight away or pour the rice pudding into a ceramic dish and allow to cool before covering and popping it in the fridge until chilled.
- Serve big hearty spoonfuls of the chilled rice with an extra sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon and big dollops of whipped cream.