This a proper show stopper of a chocolate cake and perfect for special occasions. The edible gold powder can be bought online or in select baking stores.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, grease two 23 cm cake tins with removable bases and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl of a standalone mixer. Add the sugar and mix well. Measure the wet ingredients into a measuring jug. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the contents of the jug. Beat together with the mixture until you have a smooth mixture.
- Spoon the cake batter into the lined tins and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before transferring to a wire rack until completely cool. If the cakes have to much of a rise in the centre, simply cut away the imperfections with a bread knife so you have a flat top.
- To make the frosting, place the butter and cream cheese in a bowl and beat for 2 minutes until combined. Then gradually sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder, using a spatula to mix through until you have a smooth, spreadable frosting.
- Transfer one cake to a cakestand and spread 1/4 of the frosting on top using a long offset spatula, then place the second cake on top and spread 1/3 of the remaining mixture all over the top and sides. Place the cake in the fridge for 10 minutes. This is known as a crumb coat which prevents crumbs getting into your final frosting and ensures a smooth finish. Remove the cake from the fridge and spread over the remaining frosting, saving a little if you wish to pipe little peaks on the top.
TOP TIPDust with a little edible gold powder to finish.