I love these chewy coconut macaroons which are not to be confused with delicate French macarons. These have a crispy exterior and such a satisfying chewy interior. Perfect with a cup of tea! If you source dairy free chocolate, these are suitable for anyone with a dairy allergy.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 3. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Lightly fold in the icing sugar. Gently stir in the ground almonds, almond extract and desiccated coconut until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture on to the lined baking trays, and shape into round mounds. Sprinkle a little shredded coconut on top of each one.
- Bake for 25 minutes: the outer crust should be light golden but the inside needs to be nice and soft. Leave to cool on the baking trays for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl and submerge half of each macaroon to coat in chocolate. Sprinkle with a little extra desiccated coconut and allow to set before eating.