A semifreddo is a light, velvety Italian treat. Technically it’s a frozen dessert but when served, it’s more like a chilled mousse, hence the name ‘half-cold’! Drizzled with melted nutella and topped with roasted hazelnuts, this is a perfect make ahead dinner party dessert.
- Double line a 1.5 litre capacity loaf tin with cling film. Put the Nutella in a small heatproof bowl and then stand it in a larger bowl of boiling water for 5–10 minutes until it has softened.
- Place the egg, egg yolks, vanilla extract and sugar in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water. Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat for about 8 minutes until the mixture is thick and pale. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whip the double cream until it is stiff . Fold in the pale egg mixture until combined.
- Pour half the mix into the prepared loaf tin. Make a shallow well along the centre and pour in the Nutella. Pour the rest of the semifreddo mix over the top and, using a knife, swirl through the Nutella. Cover with cling film and place in the freezer to set for 6 hours.
- To serve, turn the semifreddo out onto a serving platter and carefully remove the cling. Sprinkle it with the toasted hazelnuts and serve in generous slices.