These make wonderfully chewy and crumbly cookies which are easily adaptable, just use whatever ingredients you might have in the storecupboard. Feel free to swap out the chocolate and raisins with other dried fruit, nuts or seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a stand-alone mixer or hand mixer, cream the sugar and butter until the mixture becomes pale and smooth.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition so that the mixture doesn't split.
- Little by little, add in the flour and bicarbonate of soda until it is completely incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold through the oats, raisins, vanilla extract and chocolate chips until completely combined.
- Place 12 heaped tablespoons of the dough on each baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. You may need to swap the trays halfway through the cooking time in order to get an even colour on the cookies.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire wrack to cool completely.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk!