This is pure, unashamed, comfort-food indulgence! Don’t be scared of making the sauce — it takes minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and broccoli florets and cook for no longer than two to three minutes — they should still have a good bite to them, as they will finish cooking in the oven. Drain them under cold water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour quickly so you have a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the warm milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a steady simmer for two minutes until the sauce becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and add in the cheese, Dijon mustard and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the cauliflower and broccoli in a high-sided baking dish and pour over the cheese sauce. Top with a little extra grated Cheddar and another sprinkle of ground black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is nice and golden. Serve in big hefty spoonfuls!