This is a very good way to serve blackberries as the top of the dessert is both soft and crisp. Recipe from The Pleasures of the Table: Rediscovering Theodora Fitzgibbon.
- Cook the blackberries, water and enough sugar to sweeten, then put the fruit and some, but not all, of the juice into a buttered pie dish.
- Beat the egg yolk with the milk, cut the sponge cakes in half and soak in the egg and milk mixture.
- When the sponge cakes have absorbed the egg and milk, lay them over the blackberries to cover.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 and cook for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°F/gas mark 4 and cook for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Turn the oven down to 135°C/275°F/Gas mark 1 and put back in oven, leaving for about 15 minutes or until the top is amber-brown.
- Serve hot with cream.