Cinnamon, Apple and Ginger are matches made in heaven and go wonderfully together in this jam. Transfer the jam into little jars, label them and they make wonderful homemade gifts. The jam is great on toast, muffins and pancakes.
- Place the apple peel and core in a pot and top up with cold water. Bring to a steady simmer and cook until soft. When the apple cores and peel is soft, strain through a clean tea towel into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the apple into a large stainless steel pot with the ginger, lemon juice and zest, and 500ml of water.
- Cook at a steady simmer over a medium high heat until the apples are soft and break up.
- Add in the sugar and the liquid strained from the cores and peel. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and bring to a steady boil.
- Reduce the heat to a steady simmer and continue to cook for about 20 minutes until the jam is at setting point. Stir every now and then so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pot.
- If you are worried about whether or not your jam will set, you can check by using a simple test. Place a plate in the fridge while your jam is cooking, when the jam is ready, place a spoonful of the hot jam on the cold plate and leave in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes push your finger through the jam and it's ready if it wrinkles.
- Transfer the jam into sterilised jars and seal while still hot.