Megan is a professional photographer who lives in Dublin, Ireland, with her husband James. You can check out her beautifully illustrated blog Veggies and Me for lots of delicious vegetarian ideas… Megan has a fresh and delicious little vegetarian menu which she has kindly shared here!
My name is Megan… I have been cooking since I can remember and a vegetarian almost as long. One side of my family is into photography and the other side is into food. I am lucky because I love both. I was working in my aunt and cousin’s restaurant by the age of 12 and spent many a summer holiday from school elbow deep in veg-prep in kitchens around Hobart.
Growing up in beautiful Tasmania, Australia, surrounded by nature, I couldn’t help but have a well-developed appreciation for fresh, wholesome and local produce. Over the years, this love of fresh produce has awakened my interest in nutrition. I am currently studying nutrition and never cease to be amazed by the power of food.
Megan’s top 10 tips for vegetarian cooking…
– Find your local greengrocer and keep an eye on what is in season.
– Find you local farmers market and buy organic local fruit and veggies when you can.
– Get familiar with all the vegetarian foods high in protein, B12, iron, calcium, vitamins and minerals like: beans, legumes, quinoa, tamari soy sauce, sesame seeds, greens and nutritional yeast.
– Always have tins of beans, lentils and chickpeas on hand in your pantry.
– Buy a variety of fresh herbs each week. Keep a good selection of spices on hand.
– Buy a variety of good quality oils like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil and rapeseed oil.
– Regularly include seeds and nuts in your recipes.
– Buy the best quality organic free-range eggs you can.
– Include a variety of cheeses in your recipes.
Check out Megan’s delicious veggie menu: